Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who can use Health Services?
    All commuter and residential students, including graduate students, are eligible for health services. Faculty and staff are also treated for sudden illness or injury while on campus.
  • How much does it cost?
    There are no charges for the care provided by the college nurse practitioner or the physicians in our office. However, students are responsible for expenses for hospital emergency-room care, X-rays, laboratory tests, specialists fees, hospitalizations and prescriptions filled at outside pharmacies.
  • Can I receive medication?
    Some frequently prescribed medications for colds and minor illnesses are provided without charge through Health Services. Students may be given prescriptions for other medications that can be purchased at local pharmacies.
  • What about confidentiality?
    All information received and maintained by Health Services is confidential. No information will be given to anyone other than Health Services personnel without permission from the patient (except under emergency situations involving danger to oneself or others).
  • What about insurance?
    Manhattan College provides a basic student accident insurance plan for all full-time undergraduate students. A sickness insurance plan is available for an additional cost. Inquiries about insurance should be directed to 718-862-7356. Students are strongly urged to maintain health insurance during college. Please observe the enrollment deadline.
  • What about after hours?

    In the event of serious illness that occurs after regular office hours or on weekends, please contact a Residence Life staff member or the Public Safety office for assistance. After-hours emergency care is available at several nearby locations. See a list of urgent care and emergency facilities near campus.

    Transportation to an after hours facility is provided by the Manhattan College Public Safety office (718-862-7333) or New York City EMS (911).