Graduate students may be eligible for assistantships through Manhattan College.
What is a Graduate Assistantship?
Assistantships provide students with training and valuable professional experience in higher education work environments. Assistantship duties should not interfere unduly with academic studies, but rather should contribute to students' intellectual growth and degree goals.
Assistantships are considered primarily as a form of financial aid to help graduate students complete graduate school. Compensation includes tuition remission up to 9 credits and sometimes a stipend.
Qualifications for Appointment
Any student applying for a graduate assistantship position must meet the following requirements:
1. Graduate Assistants must be unconditionally admitted to the Graduate School, must be enrolled full time in graduate degree programs, and must be making progress toward their degrees. To retain their assistantships, students must maintain at least a 3.00 (B) cumulative average. If at any point the cumulative average falls below 3.00 or the number of credit hours becomes less than nine (9), the graduate assistant will be withdrawn from the program. During the last semester of matriculation, the Graduate Assistant may enroll in less than the above credit load.
2. Graduate Assistants are university employees as well as students and are expected to meet their instructional, research, or administrative obligations. They will work under the supervision of an assigned faculty member or administrator.
3. Graduate Assistants must be full-time students and half-time employees, working 20 hours a week.
4. Graduate Assistants might be a paid a stipend.
5. 5 Year Program students must have earned a minimum of 120 credits prior to applying for assistantship
6. Graduate Assistantships do not cover Independent Studies.
How to Apply
Click on the position above.
Complete the online application.
Submit your resume and cover letter.
If you meet the criteria for the position, the hiring manager will contact you for an interview once documents are completed online.
Hired Graduate Assistants
The Graduate Assistantship Formmust be completed by the Graduate Assistant and supervisor each semester prior to the payment due date for each term. In addition to the Graduate Assistantship form, all hired graduate assistants must have a valid I-9 and W-4 on file. These forms are available in the Office of Financial Aid Administration located in Thomas Hall 3.60.