Course of Program Study

Federal and state financial aid regulations allow courses which are required to complete a student’s program of study to be included when determining financial aid eligibility. Manhattan College uses two software programs to help students understand which courses apply to their program of study.

Degree Works is Manhattan College’s degree audit program and indicates if the courses a student registers for (or completes) apply to the student’s program of study.

Course Program of Study (CPoS) allows the financial aid office to retrieve information from each student’s degree audit prior to disbursing aid.

Only courses identified in Degree Works as fulfilling a graduation requirement are included when determining the student’s enrollment status. The amount of financial aid disbursed will be prorated when the number of credits which apply to the student’s program of study are less than the assumed enrollment level used to prepare the financial aid offer.

For aid to pay for a course in your major, minor, or other degree requirement, it must be part of your graduation requirements or be necessary to help you earn the total hours required for your program. For those depending upon financial aid to attend Manhattan College, not paying attention to this rule could affect your full-time enrollment status, which could impact eligibility for federal, state and Manhattan College-funded grants, scholarships and loans.

For example, an undergraduate student enrolled in 12 credit hours, where only 9 credit hours apply to graduation requirements, financial aid will be based on 9 credit hours, but tuition charges will be based on 12 credits.

Enrollment Standards

Financial aid programs have varying enrollment requirements. The information below applies specifically to determining financial aid eligibility and cost of attendance for financial aid purposes. Enrollment standards for billing purposes or other departments within the university may differ.

Below are the credit hours which determine whether a student is less than half-time, three quarters time or full-time.

Undergraduate Students

Enrollment Status Fall/Spring/Summer (in credit hours)


12 or more

3/4 Time

9 to 11


6 to 8

Less Than Half-Time

1 to 5

Graduate Students

Enrollment Status



3/4 Time


Half Time


Less Than Half Time


What is Considered Financial Aid?

Financial aid includes need-based, merit-based and other grants, scholarships, loans, student employment, income share agreements, military educational benefits, and employer educational benefits from federal, state, governmental agencies, endowments.

Advising Tips/Make Your Courses Count

Don't lose your financial aid due to your course choices. Talk to your Academic Advisor before planning your schedule.

  1. Register for graduation requirements.
  2. Work with your Academic Advisor and Assistant Dean
  3. Consult Degree Works.
  4. Keep your program information up to date.
  • Frequently Asked Questions

    When will Manhattan College begin using Course Program of Study (CPos)?

    Manhattan College will begin using the Course Program of Study tool for Fall 2022 registration for all students whose degree evaluations are in Degree Works.

    What is Course Program of Study (CPoS)?

    Course Program of Study is a software tool higher education institutions use to identify which courses fulfill a student’s graduation requirements. CPoS uses information from the Degree Works audit program for each financial aid recipient to determine the student’s enrollment level (full-time, half-time, etc.) based solely on courses which are required for a student’s program of study. Financial aid disbursements are reduced when the CPoS enrollment status is less than the requirement for the financial aid program.

    Courses that do not count toward the student’s degree, certificate, or other recognized credential, cannot be used to determine financial aid enrollment status unless they are eligible remedial courses

    Why do my classes have to be required for graduation in order to receive financial aid?

    Federal and state regulations require that funding be applied only to those courses that are required for you to graduate. “If a student is enrolled in courses that do not count toward his degree, certificate, or other recognized credential, they cannot be used to determine enrollment status unless they are eligible remedial courses” (Federal Student Aid Handbook, July 2019, page 1-19).

    What types of aid are affected by Course Program of Study disbursement rules?

    All federal, state, and institutional financial aid disbursed through the financial aid office is subject to Course Program of Study disbursement rules. Qualified Tuition Reduction (e.g. employee tuition benefit/waiver) is a benefit of employment and not subject to CPoS disbursement rules.

    How will I know if a class counts towards my program of study?

    Banner has a process that will read Degree Works to determine if the courses the student has registered for count toward their graduation requirements. Major, minor and concentration course requirements will count toward aid. Electives may also count towards aid if they are listed in the "Elective Credits Required for This Degree" section of the audit. Electives listed in the "Extra Electives (Not Required for This Degree" section are not eligible for aid).

    How does Manhattan College define "Program of Study"?

    A student's program of study includes the graduation requirements for a student’s primary degree type as well as additional majors, minors, concentrations, and endorsements declared by the student within the same degree type as displayed in Degree Works. Degree types include bachelor’s degrees, master degrees, doctoral degrees, approved certificates, courses required for initial teaching licensure, a group of preparatory courses (e.g., courses needed for admission to another degree program), or an approved comprehensive transition program. If you are pursuing dual degrees that are packaged as one program (e.g. Master of Business Administration) all requirements for both degrees must be met before a degree is awarded; therefore, together they are considered your program of study.

    What if I'm in an Exploratory major?

    Exploratory majors will be able to take General Education courses and a limited number of elective courses that will count for their program. As long as the course is filling a block other than "Extra Electives (Not Required for This Degree)" it can be considered for aid eligibility.

    When will the CPoS process be run to identify which courses are eligible for aid?

    The CPoS process will run daily throughout the semester for students who have made changes to their registration or program of study because financial aid does not lock student's enrollment.

    Will I be notified if a course I've registered for does not qualify for aid?

    Students are encouraged to consult Degree Works first. Courses that do not count toward graduation requirements will appear near the bottom of your Degree Works degree audit, in a section labeled “Extra Electives (Not Required for This Degree).”

    Any courses that are listed in this section of Degree Works will not count toward your financial aid enrollment status.

    In addition to the transparency of Degree Works, students will see a “Course Program of Study” channel in the Student Academics section of Degree Works that calls out which courses do not meet graduation requirements and how many total credits are counting toward their financial aid enrollment status.

    What if I change my program of study?

    Students are encouraged to change their program of study at the beginning of the semester.

    Undergraduate students should fill out the Change of Major/Minor/Advisor form to declare their change of major. During the add/drop period, undergraduate students must adjust their registration to match their new program of study. After the add/drop period, changes won’t be made to your program of study until after your financial aid enrollment status has been locked.

    What if a course doesn't count toward my program of study but I think it should?

    Students may should contact their assistant dean and advisor on this situation for assistance.

More Questions? Contact Us

Questions about Financial Aid

Students have access to their financial aid information through Self-Service Additional questions can be directed to Financial Aid:

Questions about Graduation/Degree Requirements

  1. Students should refer to their degree evaluation first (i.e., Degree Works).
  2. If you have additional questions about advising, contact your school’s Assistant Dean or Academic Advisor
  3. If your advisor is unable to help, please contact the Registrar's Office: