Zipcar is a car-sharing program, an alternative to car ownership that gives you wheels when you want them. The following discounted university membership program is available on Manhattan College’s campus:
- Cars are self-service and on-demand (the keys are right inside the cars!)
- Four cars live right on campus
- Gas, insurance, maintenance, and 180 miles/day are included in every reservation
- Reservations start at $7.50/hour and $69/day
Manhattan College students, faculty and staff can join for only $15. (Members save $10 on the first year of membership thanks to Ford. The annual fee for following years is $25).
How it Works
- Join: Apply online at zipcar.com/manhattan. It only takes a few minutes. Once you’re approved, you get your very own Zipcard.
- Reserve: Reserve one of our cars at a low rate — for a couple of hours or the entire day. Do it online or use our mobile app.
- Unlock: Walk to the car, and hold your Zipcard to the windshield. The doors will unlock, and it’s all yours!
- Drive: Drive away and return the Zipcar to the same reserved parking spot at the end of your reservation. And remember, gas and insurance are always included!
Any 18+ students or 21+ faculty, staff, or community members can apply, so long as they’ve been a licensed driver for at least one year. This includes all international users, too. After the quick online application is completed, Zipcar runs a thorough driving record check. Once approved, the applicant receives his/her Zipcard in less than a week and can begin making reservations.
Students under 21, to be eligible, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a valid driver’s license and have been licensed for at least one year (domestic and international)
- Have had no “incidents” (moving violations or accidents)
- Have had no major violations
- Have had NO alcohol or drug related violations
For everyone else, you must:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Have a valid driver’s license and have been licensed for at least one year
- Have had no more than two “incidents” (moving violations PLUS accidents) in the past three years and no more than one incident in the past 18 months
- Have had NO major violations in the past three years
- Have had NO alcohol or drug related violations in the past seven year
Zipcar provides four vehicles located on campus — two parked in the Kelly Commons lot and two parked in the Broadway parking garage. All Zipcars are outfitted with our wireless technology, which allows members access into the vehicles. They also are branded, with a Zipcar co-pilot, and outfitted with toll passes and snow scrapers, where needed. Cars in our fleet are fuel-efficient, fun and easy to drive.
Questions or issues related to Zipcar at Manhattan College should be referred to the Business Services Office at 718-862-7456.