Common Questions

Planning your journey can be a confusing process. That's we've compiled a short list of answers to the most frequently asked questions. But don't forget: you can always contact our expert staff to help you along.

  • Are all students eligible for study abroad?

    All undergraduate students, regardless of major, who are in good standing with a GPA of at least 2.75 are eligible to apply to study abroad.

    Most full semester programs require sophomore or junior status. If you plan to study abroad for a full semester as a sophomore, you should have a clear idea of your major or concentration before applying. First-semester seniors may also be eligible to study abroad.

    Short-term winter and summer programs require that students have completed their freshman year, meaning that students are eligible to participate in a short program as early as the summer after their freshman year.

    See information for students who fall under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) immigration policy.

  • Do I need to major in a foreign language in order to study abroad?
    No. There are programs for any major and any field of study. Make an appointment to speak with a Study Abroad staffmember about your interests and goals, as well as the options available to you.
  • Am I required to be proficient in the host country language to study abroad?

    Foreign language proficiency is not required in order to study abroad. Some programs offer foreign language coursework but otherwise all instruction is in English.

    For full-semester programs: academic options are usually available at various foreign language levels as well as in English. You can take courses in English or in a foreign language, or you can combine courses, some in English, and some in the foreign language. Most full-semester programs also offer either credit-bearing or noncredit language programs to help you be successful in your host country.

    For short-term programs: all instruction is in English (unless the course you are taking abroad is specifically a foreign language course). However, students often do find it helpful to have some basic language skills while traveling and you are encouraged to take a course in the Department of Modern Languages & Literatures to prepare for your travels!

  • Are all credits earned abroad transferable to Manhattan College?

    All study abroad credits are pre-approved by your academic advisors prior to your departure for your host country. This ensures that you have confirmation that your credits will indeed transfer back to Manhattan College and that they will apply towards your MC degree program.

    Students are required to register only for those courses they have had pre-approved; non-approved courses are not guaranteed to transfer back to MC or towards your degree program. You must earn the equivalent of a grade of C or better in order to transfer the credits back to MC. Credits earned for courses not taught by a Manhattan College faculty member will not be calculated into your GPA.

  • Will I graduate on time if I study abroad?
    Yes, since all MC study abroad program are credit-bearing, your participation in a program abroad should help you make progress in your degree, rather than holding you back. Consulting with your advisors early on is crucial to a successful completion of a program. We recommend that you start planning during your freshman year, particularly for full-semester opportunities.
  • How much do study abroad courses cost?

    On average, the cost of studying abroad for a semester is comparable to a semester at Manhattan College and financial aid may often be used towards these expenses.

    The cost for a short-term program varies by location but is typically close to the cost of tuition for the 3 or 6 credits earned and includes the credits earned, airfare, accommodation abroad, in-country transportation, international health insurance, and entrance for all site and cultural visits included in the itinerary.

  • Are there scholarships available for study abroad?
    There are several scholarships offered through Manhattan College for study abroad. In addition, many third-party organizations offer partial scholarships. To get more information about looking for external study abroad scholarships, make an appointment to speak with a member of the Office of Study Abroad.
  • Is financial aid available to those who plan to study abroad?

    For full-semester programs: if you are currently receiving financial aid, you can typically apply your aid package to your program if it is affiliated with Manhattan College.

    Short-term programs do not typically allow for financial aid to be applied; some students may be able to request additional loan funds to help cover their program expenses.

    There are scholarships available for both full-semester and short programs and all students are encouraged to apply.

  • What if I need to cancel my program? Are deposits refundable?
    Notify the Office of Study Abroad immediately if you decide to withdraw from a program. All deposits are non-refundable, as they are used to secure flights, accommodations, and other components of your program; airlines, hotels, and other travel logistics providers have very strict refund policies.
  • Is work available abroad?
    Rarely, as most countries have stringent labor laws. On occasions, students might find jobs in interpreting, teaching English or child care.
  • Where do students live abroad?

    For full-semester programs: housing arrangements vary according to the country and program. Students typically have the option to live in apartments or with host families; dormitory space may also be available depending on the program. Study Abroad staff work with all accepted students to review the housing options and determine the best fit for each traveler.

    For short-term programs, housing abroad is included in the program fee. The exact housing arrangements vary by program but students are typically placed by the Office of Study Abroad in either local hotels, apartments, or university residence halls. These accommodations are usually shared double rooms.

  • Are there internships available during a study abroad program?
    Internships may be available through select short-term and full-semester study abroad programs. Full-semester internships are often limited in availability because of visa requirements. All internship positions must be approved by Manhattan College according to the rules and regulations followed for registering internships.
  • What if I am a DACA student?

    Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) is a U.S. immigration policy that allows certain U.S. aliens who entered the country as minors to receive a renewable two-year period of deferred action from deportation. Manhattan College will neither prevent nor hinder any DACA students from participating in study abroad programs. However, it is the College’s strong recommendation that such students wait to register for a study abroad program until the current United States presidential administration outlines or clarifies its policies regarding DACA students.

    Furthermore, the College cannot facilitate or intervene on behalf of a DACA student’s re-entry to the U.S. should he/her encounter any difficulties. DACA students who opt to register for a study abroad program will do so at their own risk. 

    DACA students can study abroad and return to the U.S. under current procedures when granted advance parole and citing "educational" purposes as the reason for travel. There is a fee involved (currently $360) which is not covered by financial aid. Additionally, advance parole is only valid until its expiration so that a student must plan accordingly leaving ample time for e.g. unanticipated travel delays. Students who fail to return before their advance parole expires run the risk on being denied re-entry. DACA students also need to apply well in advance of their planned trip so that they have advance parole prior to traveling. If there any issuance delays, the student would not be able to travel and would at risk for losing travel and/or lodging deposits or other fees paid in advance. 

    In addition to consulting the guidelines at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service website , DACA students who decide to study abroad should seek counsel outside of the College to ensure they understand the risks and plan accordingly.