Participation Criteria

A successful academic experience abroad begins with careful planning. Start planning in your freshman year whether you have selected a major or not.

Selecting a Program

Start by answering the following questions:

  • What are the reasons I want to study abroad?
  • Do I meet the basic qualifications to apply? (Most programs require general cumulative GPA of 2.75).

After you assessed your goals and eligibility, set up an appointment with the study abroad advisor to identify specific study abroad programs that meet your needs and interests. We will connect you with students who have participated in the programs so you can make a more informed decision.

Planning Guidelines

Carefully plan your course of study.

Students typically study abroad during junior year. You should try to take most of the required courses for your major prior to studying abroad since some Manhattan College major programs require that most (if not all) courses be taken on campus. The more elective courses kept open, the greater the flexibility in choosing appropriate programs and courses abroad.

Coordinate with your academic advisors.

Get approval from your academic advisor and departmental major/minor advisor. Their approval of your plans is essential. Discuss the options available, what you want to do, where, for how long, and how your plans fit in the overall degree program you are pursuing.

Consult Student Financial Services.

You are required to consult with the Sstudent Financial Services office on your study abroad financial package. Many programs offer their own financial aid or scholarships. Information on this may be found on the program's website or in their brochure.

Get it in writing.

Check all the facts about credits. Get approval for credit transfer in writing (form A) from your department chairperson, academic advisor and major/minor advisor. 

Earn Credits Toward Your Degree.

You will not receive credit for courses that duplicate material studied at Manhattan College. To earn credit, you must:

  • Earn a C or better in each course except where the major department requires a higher grade
  • Carry a full course load (minimum 12 credits)

Please note, students who fall under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) immigration policy should read this information about DACA student participation in study abroad programs.