Each host university has its own application process. You can apply to participate at as many host universities as you are interested in. The application at each host university requires, at a minimum, the submission of an official transcript, a letter of recommendation, and a personal statement or essay. In the U.S., the application deadline for host universities is in early February, with the exception of the California Institute of Technology, for which the deadline is in mid-February. In Europe, the application deadline for host universities is in early February.
To apply to be an Amgen Scholar, go to the Host Universities section of this website and click on the U.S. Program or Europe Program. After reading about the Program at that particular host university, follow the link to that university’s summer research program website. You’ll find the Amgen Scholars application there.
Amgen Scholars U.S. Program applicants must be:
- U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents;
- Undergraduate students enrolled in accredited four-year colleges or universities in the United States, Puerto Rico or other U.S. territories; and
- Sophomores (with four quarters or three semesters of college experience), juniors or non-graduating seniors (who are returning in the fall to continue undergraduate studies).
U.S. Program applicants must also have:
- A cumulative grade point average of 3.2 or above; and
- An interest in pursuing a Ph.D. or M.D.-Ph.D.
Amgen Scholars Japan Program applicants must be undergraduate students who are:
- Enrolled in colleges or universities worldwide that award a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent); and
- At minimum, have completed their first year of undergraduate study at the time the summer program begins, and
- Are not graduating before the summer program begins, and after the summer program ends will resume undergraduate studies for at least 1 semester or 1 quarter
Japan Program applicants must also have:
- A strong record of academic performance; and
- A good working knowledge of English, demonstrated by a minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 72, IELTS overall band score of 5.5, Cambridge English FCE, TOEIC score of 1095, TOEIC L&R score of 785, or TOEIC S&W score of 310, if not a native English speaker or English is not your first language, and
- An interest in pursuing a Ph.D.