AAUW Career Development Grants

Deadline: December
Website: Link
Disciplines: Arts and Humanities, Business, Education, Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM), Social Sciences
Years: Alumni

AAUW originally designed Career Development Grants to offer "encouragement" funding to AAUW members seeking to renew or resume academic work for credit toward career or employment advancement. Fifty members from 36 states received the first grants in 1972.

Through the years, the grants have helped many women pursue their educational goals and go on to achieve professional success. A 2011-12 Career Development Grant helped Dana Kaplan return to college to pursue a career in the automotive industry as a certified master technician. Esy Casey, a 2009-10 Career Development Grant recipient, directed a documentary on Jeepneys used in the Philippines. Graciela TiscareƱo-Sato, a former U.S. Air Force aviator, was able to get a master's degree and become a successful marketing executive and advocate for children with disabilities thanks in part to the support of a 1998-99 AAUW Career Development Grant; she recently published Latinnovating: Green American Jobs and the Latinos Creating Them. And Chrystal Bell, a 2002-03 Career Development Grantee, is working as a forensic scientist and crime scene investigator.

The Career Development Grant recipients are an impressive group of women representing a diverse range of career interests and fields of study, including business administration, computer sciences, counseling psychology, chemical engineering, dance, education, marine biology, and nursing.

Specific Eligibility Criteria

Career Development Grants support women who hold a bachelor's degree and are preparing to advance or change careers or re-enter the work force. Special consideration is given to women of color, and women pursuing their first advanced degree or credentials in nontraditional fields. Funds are available for tuition, fees, books, supplies, local transportation, and dependent care. Recipients must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.