MC After School Program Activity Teacher Position Open
The activity teacher for the Manhattan College After School Program (September 12, 2018 - June 21, 2019) is responsible for but not limited to creating lesson plans, implementing the lessons to children, helping with homework and supervising a group of up to 13 students. The plans have as intent to support student’s academic, emotional, physical, social, and creative development with students K-3rd Grade. An activity teacher helps students with all their homework and after, develops activities on a specific subject such as math, science, or technology for a set amount of time. Reports to the Manhattan College After School Program Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Consistently demonstrate positive interaction with all children; talk to them and treat them with dignity and respect.
- Facilitate curriculum reinforcement activities and homework assistance.
- Demonstrate positive discipline; teach and redirect rather than scolding or reprimanding them; firmly and consistently enforce the rules.
- Express clear expectations and hold children accountable for adhering to them.
- Help children to develop a positive self-esteem and sense of self –worth.
- Consistently demonstrate and reinforce the values of caring, respect, honesty and responsibility.
- Positively ID parents before releasing children.
- Maintain excellent communication with parents regarding program information: schedule changes, permission slips.
- Adhere to policies and procedures pertaining to the children at Manhattan College After School Program.
- Work in a team environment and encourage open communication regarding. concerns/issues with children, parents and co-workers.
- Communicate and coordinate with on site coordinator daily.
- Be able to work 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm Monday thru Friday
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Has the ability to consistently be at work, to arrive on time, to follow instructions, to respond to management direction and solicit feedback to improve performance.
- Establishes excellent interpersonal skills between all constituents: being courteous, professional, and helpful; demonstrates high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. Position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Demonstrates excellent oral (including presentations), written, interpersonal (active listening), skills and ability in negotiating and influencing; great phone etiquette.
- Is proactive and takes initiative. Thinks creatively. Drives projects to completion. Insists on highest level of quality.
- Works and interacts with staff and relates to individuals at all levels. As unique situations present themselves, the incumbent must be sensitive to corporate needs, employee goodwill, and the public image.
- Possesses strong customer and student orientation.
- Has the ability to work with large amounts of data, to research and interpret records, to detect errors, and make the necessary corrections.
- Looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Strives to implement best practices.
- Has the ability to be courteous and professional when dealing with parents, children and other co-workers.
- Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus.
- Adheres to and understands Manhattan College After School rules, expectations, policies, and procedures
- High School Diploma, or higher.
- One (1) year in an educational learning environment or equivalent experience.
- CPR and First Aid Certified a must.
- Computer literacy; Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Suite (Gmail, Google docs, sheets, slides).
- Requires fingerprint/background check with New York State prior to start date.
Position: This is a part-time job of up to 15 hours per week. M - F 3 pm - 6 pm. Appointment scheduled: September 12, 2018 to June 21, 2019.
Submit resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In subject line type ”After school teacher [Last Name]”.